February Clay Day
Join the BCB Foundations project for February Clay Day!
Who is this for?
The activities are suitable for children and adults of all ages and abilities. However, we do ask that children under the age of 10 are not left unsupervised.
10am-3pm, Wednesday 22 February 2023
St Thomas More Catholic Academy, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, ST3 2NJ
What will I do?
The February Clay Day is a public pottery extravaganza that will showcase the student’s work from the last two years. There will be hands-on activities where they will share their knowledge, skills and experiences about clay with other students, their families and the local community.
- Raku Firing – This is a very special and exciting way of adding metallic and crackle glaze to ceramic ware, you will get a chance to glaze your own pot and see the expert potters from BCB fire your pot and reveal the amazing glazes.
- Group sculpture – You can get hands-on with a group sculpture designed by the students of St Thomas More Catholic Academy.
- Throwing pots – Have a go on a throwing wheel with help from an expert thrower.
- Processing clay – Do you know where clay comes from? Find out and have a go at processing your own clay.
- Clay play – Explore what clay is like, feel the different textures in clay, then make something and experiment with clay in it’s different states.
How do I book?
Book your free ticket on this webpage.
- The school has level access to all areas.
- We have a portable Loop for those who need it, please email ahead of the event if you would like to use this system (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If there is anything we can do to support your participation in the event please do get in touch with email@example.com to discuss what we can put in place for you.
Find out more
Visit our What’s On page to see what other events are happening.
With thanks to
Foundations is funded via ‘Curiosity’, a collaboration between BBC Children in Need and Wellcome Trust. ‘Curiosity’ provides funding for organisations who want to run exciting and engaging science activities aimed at disadvantaged children and young people.
Decoding Ceramics Symposium
Decoding Ceramics is the culmination and output of CRAFT, a 3 year project funded by the European Union bringing together 5 institutions; UAL London,…
Celebrating Clay, Canals & Curiosity
Join the BCB Foundations project for a celebration of clay, canals and curiosity Join the BCB Foundations project at Middleport Pottery as we celebrate…
Recast – Find Out More
What is Recast – Find Out More about? Come along to see the Recast exhibition and meet some of the project participants. Get to…
Factory Lunch Hour – Crafting Your Next Job Application
What is Factory Lunch Hour – Crafting Your Next Job Application about? Competition in the job market is higher than ever, which makes it…
In-person Factory Seminar – Knowing When to Change Direction
What is Factory Seminar – Knowing When to Change Direction about? If you want to talk about changing direction in your artistic practice then…
April Artist Development Surgeries
What are the April Artist Development Surgeries about? The April Artist Development Surgeries are an opportunity to talk about a project or idea that…