Hey Clay! Online
As part of Hey Clay! 2020, the BCB studio will be hosting an online demonstration on Facebook Live at 11:00am on Saturday 16 May. Associate artist, Sarah Fraser, will demonstrate making a lidded box using slab-building techniques, drawing inspiration from our festival hub and studio location, Spode Works in Stoke-on-Trent.
This activity was part of our original plan for Hey Clay! 2020: a series of two workshops. The first involving making vessels or lidded boxes with an architectural theme, responding to the Spode site and the second event glazing and Raku firing the pieces from the first workshop.
To take part, you will need the following:
- About a kilogram of clay (a piece the about size of a large grapefruit)
- Some slurry or joining slip (about 50p sized ball of the same clay mixed with water until it is the consistency of yogurt. It is much easier to dry out the clay completely and then add some water to it)
- A rolling pin
- Guide sticks or a two pencils
- a skewer or toothpick
- kitchen knife
- Paintbrush or old toothbrush
- A piece of smooth cloth such as an old pillowcase
- Scrap paper, pencil, a ruler and scissors to make a template.
or Link to our live stream, 11am Saturday 16th May.
Take some time to be calm, relaxed and immersed during the buzz of Pride celebrations. You will have a chance to transform an unfired…
Things I Didn’t Know I Loved
In this workshop we are looking to bring back and reinforce all these things that we have loved and to engage beloved memories.
I Am a Man and a Brother
The V&A Wedgwood Collection present a new exhibition and trail encouraging exploration of the context and complexities of one of its most iconic pieces.
Plate Making Masterclass
Set the wheels in motion and let your creative genius loose on all aspects of plate making.
Throw a Plate
Take a seat to discover if you have a hidden skill in the art of throwing a plate with the support of our pottery professionals. Explore conventional clay plate throwing on the pottery wheel!
The Clay Lab
Explore clay in a whole new way at The Clay Lab and prepare to be amazed at the limitless creations.